Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Crispy Mozzarella Sticks



I've been craving something deep fried and horrible for me. What I wanted was saganaki, but I lacked kefalotyri or kasseri cheeses so that was out of the question (Ooooh! I should do it next week... I need to hit up my resident cheesemonger!). I did however have a big block of mozzarella hanging around so I decided to make do with mozzarella sticks. Of course, as any one who has made them from scratch knows, all that breading is a pain.

So I was thinking about how to satisfy my fried cheese cravings with as little work as possible and I remembered a trip to Utah last year and a Brazilian steakhouse called Rodizio Grill. They had these little appetizers, bites of mozzarella fried in wonton skins. I thought they were a really clever take on the ordinary breaded mozzerella stick and all the more satisfying because they packed a great crunch.

They may not be very chic, but they're good. So I'm going to share these crunchy, easy to make mozzarella sticks. What I am not going to share is how many I managed to eat.

Not So Humble Crispy Mozzarella Sticks:
1 large block mozzarella
1 package egg roll wrappers
1-2 cups marinara (optional)
oil for frying

Cut the mozzarella into 1/2 thick sticks (length will depend on the size of your egg roll wrappers).

Place the mozzarella onto a wonton wrapper and add two tablespoons marinara (if using) and fold in the sides and then roll up. Secure with a dab of water to hold the wrapper closed. Repeat with the remaining cheese.

In a frying pan, heat a half inch of oil over medium/medium-high heat.

Fry the sticks for roughly a minute on each side until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

21 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Have you ever done frying with coconut oil? I love the lightness and mild flavor it adds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo! the idea of frying these inside wonton wrappers is genius-- much better than the batter alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I had that craving last weekend and made a fried chicken feast! but seeing these i am craving fried foos again! bad you for making me crave this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhhhhhhhhhh!!

    *twitch*

    I just have to go to the shop......

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's 5 in the morning, and these look delicious!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I would have never thought to use egg roll wrappers to make cheese sticks...those look drool worthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Are you interested in adopting additional food tasters by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! I'm a little bit obsessed with stuffing things into wonton skins and frying them. I've made similar ones like this but using cheddar cheese spiked with a bit of chipotle hot sauce.SO good!! I think I might have to whip up another batch now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. These had to be a ton of fun to make and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really delicious looking, it is making my mouth water - really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound wonderful. I cannot wait to attempt making these.
    They remind me of these cheese steak appetizers I had at Applebee's once. Steak and provolone cheese in a wonton wrap. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh great, now I'm craving moz sticks too! I love how you used egg roll wrappers - so easy and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea using those wrappers instead of dough!

    ReplyDelete
  14. *sniff* Why must you torture me with these delicious foods?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super idea - I'm always irritated when breading gets clumped and catastrophic... this is so much simpler/cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh....my hips are so sorry that I found your blog! Fab-U-lous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum. This is how I make chile rellanos. But with jack cheese and a green chile.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails